Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Soldering Organ Pipes

One of the most important things about having and building a pipe organ is a certain amount of repair to pipes. A lot of times we find a rank of pipes and invariably there is a pipe that needs some work done in order to improve the appearance or help it to speak. One of these is soldering. I really have not found any books that tell a lot about pipe soldering but there are a lot of books out there that can help and these are called "people". People that know how to do this very skilled part of pipe making and repair. Talk to them, I have found that most will be happy to share their skill. Also one will need the proper tools too. The first tool is called "patience" a lot of this is needed in order to learn the skill. Then comes the 1. soldering iron, 2. the correct solder, 3. steriac acid (floss) and a few other items I will discuss. Presently I am in the stage of learning this skill myself so I will keep this post updated and hopefully have pictures to show. I will post pictures of the items needed - stay tuned.

1 comment:

Bart said...

http://www.organpipes.com/
pipe maker

but here the 'most important' work on organ building:
Dom Bedos de Celles, L'art du facteur d'orgues -1766

there couldn't be a better work!